Google
 

Monday, March 27, 2006

Lackawanna Blues and other Seasonal Affective Disorders

I have never seen Lackawanna Blues, but I don't think that's any reason not to voice my unwavering opinion on it. Having said that, I initially hated the movie/mini-series/I honestly have no idea. It was up for far too many Emmys, Oscars, and Independent Spirit Awards without me having any idea what it was about. It made me nervous the way a seventy year old man eyes heated seats in a car and is forced to wonder if the heat is on or if he actually just shat himself again. So, yeah, that was me with Lackawanna Blues. I saw the same clip about four-hundred times until I officially cast it off. Then something happened.

I don't know what happened exactly, but i'm guessing shear inundation finally caught up to me. Plus, I'd just seen Hustle and Flow (Witz Pickz it), Four Brothers, and Crash so Terrence Howard's role in it might have had something to do with it (although i'm not rushing out to see Biker Boyz (which I might have actually seen, I don't know), Big Momma's House, or The Player's Club, so who knows. Wait a minute, when did Terrence Howard go from ridiculously typecast black guy (he was also in Johns, Family Matters, Butter, and Coach!) to serious actor? HE WAS IN GLITTER! Terrence Howard has to be the only actor in history to go from Glitter to Oscar. Ben Affleck is most likely one of many actors to go the other direction. Goodwill Hunting to Gigli? Ooph. How do ya like dem apples?). Anyway, eventually, I saw a clip of the blues side of things involving Mos Def, music, and confusingly Macy Gray, who is sounding more and more like she's constantly talking like she just walked into the public bathroom at Jack-In-the-Box and has to breathe through her mouth. For the record, Witz will constantly pick Jack-In-the-Box as well as Sonic. Anyway, while I may never see Lackawanna Blues, I would highly recommend you see it, but keep your opinions to yourself. Nobody wants to hear what other people think about worthless pop culture. It's self-indulgent-- Like Ice Age 2 or Mars Corp still producing Three Musketeers bars.

Kisses,
Witz

No comments: