Google
 

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Witz Can't Figure Out If He Pickz: How I Met Your Mother

There is an ever-increasing list of things that I can't figure out if I like or not on television. Are the shows good or are they bad and I just don't care about quality anymore so much as immersing myself in other worlds? Television has always been inundated with these types of shows, however, recently, more and more shows have had a more eclectic humor or plot mixed in with typical sit-com humor and drama television. Here are a few I am confused with:

How I Met Your Mother:

I just don't know. At first glance, it's another sit-com about men and women with narration by Bob Saget. But it stars Jason Segal who has been nothing short of brilliant comedically in films such as Slackers and SLC Punk, and in the tv series Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared (another one of those "is this good?" shows). It also has Neil Patrick Harris who somehow miraculously revived his career after the Doogie Howser years and now goes by NPH thanks to Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Apparently when he was younger, being nice and smart worked out for him, and nowadays, being the arrogant prick who lacks intelligence is more his style. Anyway, the show manages to ride the thin line between good and terrible and while I won't ever watch the show on purpose, if I flip to it I will stick around to see what turns up. It's a show I'd like to like, but am not sure if it's actually worth anything. MUCH LIKE--

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia:

So I kinda hated this show without having seen much of it during its first season, but have since come to really enjoy it. The problem is that whenever I watch it with anyone else or say, "You gotta watch this show" it's NEVER FUNNY. But then I'll watch it and one single moment will have me laughing for the rest of the show. This means that the show is hit or miss and really doesn't have that much funny packed into it so much as one or two solid jokes which have some shelf-life, which might be all we can expect from tv comedy these days.

Invasion:

I don't even know if this show is coming back for a second season, but from the moment I heard about Invasion I thought, "This would be a good show to get into from the beginning and watch on dvd." After downloading all the episodes and watching them, I found myself intrigued and on the edge of my seat-- in such a way that I couldn't tell if I was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen or to actually stand up and leave the show behind. Certain elements of it are enjoyable and other parts are annoying and boring. If it doesn't come back I suppose it doesn't matter, but did ANYONE else watch this show or was it just me?

Soft Quilted Toilet Paper:

HOW SOFT IS TOO SOFT??? I think we all know that there's this moment when soft, comfortable toilet paper crosses into the realm of too soft, "Oh dear God....OH DEAR GOD!" toilet paper. Obviously I'm not voting for sandpaper or that brown paper that must have been invented as the bridge between leaves and good hand-drying paper and then somehow hasn't left the market yet, but when my toilet paper is soft, I'm always a little wary and not sure how I feel about it. Soft toilet paper is a slippery slope and therein is the actual problem.

The Marianas Trench:

Cool secret-holding ravine or the deepest possible place I could drown? I DONT KNOW!

Funfetti:

PSYCHE! I EFFING LOVE FUNFETTI! THe fact that they took FROSTING and made it WAY BETTER blows my mind!! I'm not sure what part is "fun" exactly though. Were the marketing execs like, "How would you describe a product that makes you gain weight, causes cavities and possibly even diabetes?.....uhhhh.....f-...Fun?.....That's it, I love it. We'll call it Funfetti." Does that mean that Confetti is by definition LESS FUN than Funfetti? I feel it has to. However, if you eat confetti you probably still would get some fundigestion, but wouldn't die of a Fun Attack (read: initially going to be Feart Attack which is homonymous with Fart Attack which made me giggle a little too much since I'm out of the 4th grade, so I had to change it slightly, but I wanted you to still enjoy the accidental humor without having to feel shameful for my giggles-- this is like bonus features).

A Funfetti Parade Would Be Fun Just Until the Moment When All Vehicles Lost Traction From All the Frosting and Careened Into Other Vehicles And Humans,

Witz

2 comments:

Witz said...

It's true, Allyson Hannigan is on the show, but I've never been clear on her funny-level. Also, there's that chick who looks like Phoebe Cates, but she's typical sitcom annoying as far as I can tell. I just don't know.

For the record Lost is spectacular and I am thoroughly into it. It's problematic knowing that they're stringing me along solely for the fact that they have a contract, but still, the story and secrets are grrreat.

Magomra said...

I just watched one episode of How I Met Your Mother solely because you said you weren't sure if you liked it. I must say, I laughed... a bunch. The show is actually decent and not completely horrible. Now there were horrible parts but there were also some funny parts.

With regard to Lost, I'm addicted and love it. I just wish it could all be summed up much quicker. Damn you others and monsters. I'll watch it until it gets too annoying to watch.