Google
 

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Witz Pickz: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (In Theory)

I saw my first preview for the new Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I'm super excited to see it. From the preview, it looked like they kept to the same classic look and style of Indiana Jones, but got some big namers to accompany him such as Cate Blanchette (perfect for an Indiana Jones movie, given her propensity for acting like a tomboy) and Shia The Beef fresh off being snubbed by the oscars for his work in Transformers. I do have some qualms, however, and while this won't detract from my pick and wanting to seeingness of it, I'm a bit worried.


You see, also in the preview were a ABUNDANCE of "I'm too old for this," one liners. While I think they need to recognize the fact that Indiana Jones is astoundingly old, I don't want the movie to turn into a comedy based on his inability to perform the way he used to. A lot of the belated sequels of films (Rocky Balboa, Pirates of the Carribean 3, Live Free or Die Hard) all act very self-conscious of their predacessors and make it more a post-modern commentary than an actual enjoyable movie-- i.e. they spend too much time reminding us of what we liked about the past ones than actually making the current film great (although I loved the new Die Hard). I just hope that they get their couple of obligatory, "Oops, I'm elderly now" lines out of the way and don't make it the motif.


Having said that, I'm a bit concerned by the age of Indiana Jones. You see, Harrison Ford is SIXTY SIX YEARS OLD. That is old. Lemme put that in context. When they made the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles for television, Harrison Ford had a cameo in one episode where he played "Old Indiana Jones." In that episode, Old Indiana Jones was supposed to be FIFTY. Now, in real life, Harrison Ford is SIXTY SIX. I'm not sure the action-adventure is going to be the same for me given the age thing. Just watching the preview, I cringed three times as Indy slammed into windshields, got knocked about, and fell onto the ground. Have you ever seen an old person fall down? It's like the most disturbing and sad thing that can happen spontaneously in daily life. Now I'm supposed to watch people HIT a sixty six year old man? I'm supposed to watch him flying around with his whip and not think, "That man should really not be trying that!" Harrison Ford should be dating my Grandma, playing golf at noon on weekdays, and playing doubles tennis at dusk at clubs with manmade pond-pools. But what's Indiana Jones up to? He's fighting the damn nazis again-- I mean I think, from the previews. Why WOULDN'T he be? I mean, it's got to be about thirty years after they were big, right? It's been 27 years since Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, and while you can fake time passing slowly when you make 3 movies in the 80's, it's tough to pretend only a few years have passed when you go from being 47 to 66. It's gonna be interesting.


All of this does nothing to diminish my joy for the film coming out. I'm sure they'll pass on the glory and wit and adventure to Shia and maybe even groom him for future sequels. It'd be kind of cool if we followed the lineage of Indiana Jones. From Sean Connery to Harrison Ford to Shia LeBouf. And is Sean Connery gonna be in this one? Cause he's 78. If they shoot Sean Connery again, at age 78, I'm gonna be very upset. He ain't recovering from that one. Also, did Indy's dad have Indiana jones when he was 12??? There's a lot to discover in the world of Indiana Jones, and I'm just excited that we have access.


See You At the Midnight Showing,
Witz

No comments: