Google
 

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Witz Pickz: The Lost Room, Foam Soap, 3:10 to Yuma

Here are a few pickz for today, none of which make me sound cool:

The Lost Room: a mini-series from the Sci-Fi Channel, The Lost Room did quite well, but obviously lacked the mainstream success ratings to get picked up. The mini-series is complete on its own, but is open ended at the end so it COULD become a regular series if it was picked up. Starring Peter Krause from Six Feet Under and Juliana Margolis from ER Version One Decade One, The Lost Room explores a mystery revolving around a motel room which mysteriously disappeared in 1961. There are objects that have powers scattered around the world that once belonged in the missing room. "The Key" is the object the main character finds and it leads him into the missing room where he can go anywhere he wants from. It sounds kinda ridiculous and lame in explanation, but it was fantastically executed and definitely worth checking out the two dvd's at blockbuster (as long as you can handle the clerk). Plus, since watching it, I like to imagine that their USED TO BE another room in my apartment that somehow became "lost" and THAT'S why I'm paying the absurd amount of money for a tiny one-room (aka "two room minus one lost room") apartment where the "landlord" constantly yells at us for things and never fixes anything (aka "on campus"). You can see how effing nuts some people are about this show HERE.

Foam Soap: I know, I know, welcome to 2007 Witz, but have you tried this stuff? For so long I've avoided washing my hands because it was such a hassle to rub my hands together and create lather, but NOW-- well...NOW I try and wash my hands as often as possible just to feel that velvety softness of the foam soap. I'll bake something ONLY so that I can wash my hands beforehand. Sometimes I wash my hands after a meal, THEN PEE, and then have to wash my hands AGAIN. "Oops." Currently, the best part about foam soap, however, is that I can pretend it comes from The Lost Room and is some magical item I never have to refill-- this is because my girlfriend always buys it and restocks it, so I have no idea where to purchase foam soap, nor how long one bottle usually lasts! Speaking of which-- my hands are getting a little germy from these keys....

3:10 To Yuma: A remake of an older movie (see how that works), I didn't know what I expected going in and yet it definitely wasn't what I expected. It was, however, a really interesting movie, and I left the theater glad that I saw it. Since, I have been thinking about the film more and more, and it has already sparked actual conversation between myself and friends. Starring Christian Bale and Russell Crowe (in his best acting role in years), let me say that 3:10 to Yuma is NOT an action movie. It's an artsy western that explores themes of good/evil, self-respect, love, and morality-- and it's all very well done. Having said that, it's the best slow movie I've seen in years. The film is based on a short story by Elmore Leonard, which was surprising to me, because it felt more like a Cormac McCarthy style, but maybe that's what the director was going for. Regardless, only the ending disappointed me, but I'm not sure that it could have ended in a way that would be satisfying. The ending is in the rest of the film, and not necessary to the piece as a whole. Everything that needs to be taught or seen happens beforehand, and therefore is a letdown when something is shown. If The Sopranos hadn't pissed off millions of viewers, I think this one might have ended similarly, and, in this case, it would have worked. Check it out and let me know what you think. Also, read what this other guy named John thinks.

That's all for this fine Thursday, some funny, some info, and some ways to spend your money.

Please Please Please let the Red Sox Sweep The Devil Rays,
Witz

No comments: