Google
 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Witz Pickz: Podcasting and Bat Bridge

I've started podcasting! Not Witz Pickz, which would be weird (just me reading the pickz outloud for my visually challenged fans-- wait-- does visually challenged mean they can't see or that they're really ugly? Crap. Well, for both of them-- they could both get the podcast) and entirely remove the mystery from this thing (maybe you haven't heard my voice or maybe you forget what it sounds like). Anyway, I'm in the process of learning to podcast my radio show on KZSU Stanford so if anybody NOT up from 3-6am on the EAST coast can hear it if they'd like. But here's what I learned and why I love it:

Learning to podcast without essential knowledge is like falling into a mystical magical fantasyland where anything is possible, plausible, and probably occurring. I found a how to guide that has taken me to tens of sites I didn't know existed and don't believe they exist after I leave. File hosting sites for free, communities of file sharing and browsing groups that are based off of the free hosting sites, and one site which as far as I can tell is JUST a basic picture of what uploading a file from your computer to a server looks like (two boxes, one arrow). It's amazing. I have no idea what I'll find next. I mean, just the other day I learned that big burly gay men are called "bears". Now I find out I can upload my huge files online for free? Astounding! I'll keep an eye out for any magical cats or totally effed up tea-parties (in Wonderland, Boston, or other). I'll let you all know when the podcasts are up.

Bat Bridge!: There has never been any question that Batman is real, simply when he existed. Batman I, II, III, The One We Dare Not Recall, and Batman Begins are all works of historical fiction, and as such, they provide insight into our past. If Batman were to live today, however, he would not live in a bat CAVE, he would live in a bat BRIDGE. While in Austin, I saw the South Congress Bridge, where thousands and thousands of bats live. At sunrise and sunset each day, they all emerge in a swooping mass of wings and furry what-have-yous (I call genitals, "furry-what-have-yous"). It sometimes takes up to 45 minutes for the entire stream to emerge, and must look at least a little bit like the Coors Light Train making everything SOOOO COOOOOLD. I didn't actually get to see the bats emerge, but I walked directly under the bridge, and the sound as I approached and underneath was insane. It was a frenzy of squeeling sounds, echoing for huge distances. Since I didn't feel like getting shat on, I didn't get too close, but it was very odd to sense the presence of so many creatures without being able to see them. My fear for snakes, spiders, mountain lions, has now increased.

CHECK-IN TOMORROW FOR A POST ON ALL THE INSANE POP MUSIC I'VE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH! (I might even be funny!)

Through the Looking Glass,
Witz

No comments: