Google
 

Monday, April 09, 2007

Witz Pickz: DEXTER (the TV Series)

This is a Monday pick. Meaning this is something worth kicking off your week with, indulging in all week, and integrating into your life. This will get you through the day. Then, when it's gone, you will sit alone, trembling, itching your arms, wanting more.

The show is Dexter. I have not trusted in a show so implicitly since the fifth season of The West Wing. From the first episode to the season finale, I placed my faith in the writers’ hands and did not doubt them for a minute. I haven’t been able to say that about any show in a long, long time. I would go so far as to say this is the best show I’ve seen, from start to finish of the first season in at least 8 years.

SO WHAT IS IT ABOUT??

Honestly, I’m not even going to tell you. I mentioned a small bit about it in a previous post, but having now seen the whole season and gone back to think about it, I don’t want to ruin ANYTHING. I can sum it up and give you a general plot outline, but then you wouldn’t get to experience the coolest details as surprises. Going in completely blind, with only a vague notion of what the show is about made it even better and more enjoyable, so I will leave you with the same. I will say that is can be creepy, it can be hilarious, and it can be very interesting in its examination of human character. As I said, the writing is superb, the acting spot on, and the whole direction and sound is fantastic, too. I was bored for maybe 15 minutes total out of….well….12 times 48 minutes of watching. You need to see this show, at least give it a shot.

SO WHEN IS IT ON??

That’s the funny part. First of all, it’s on Showtime, so you’re not gonna get to see it. Secondly, it’s in the interim between season one and season two, so you can’t even watch it, although they probably have reruns out of order or it could be OnDemand. It hasn’t been around long enough to be released on DVD yet, so you can’t get it there either. Your best bet is to use a downloading client such as Bittorrent to acquire the episodes and watch them, but I’m sure you could also buy homemade DVD’s of the show online for like 20 bucks. Not that I endorse either of those practices. I’ve just somehow seen the show. I do have all of the episodes if you live nearby and would like to “borrow” them. Look, just email me is what I’m saying—we’ll talk. The next season IS happening and is slated for later in 2007, so that’s ambiguous as all hell. I’ve already lost Huff to Showtime’s non-following, so I just pray that we don’t lose Dexter as well.

Witz

P.S. It appears that Dexter is based on a series of books written originally in the early-mid 80's by Jeff Lindsay which are now being reprinted with a new novel coming out soon. If they are anywhere near as good as the show, I will be reading them soon.

No comments: