Google
 

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Witz Pickz: "Red Box" DVD Vending Machines!

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw one in a supermarket-- a vending machine that allegedly provided DVD's for 99 cents. That couldn't possibly work. We went over and tried to get a movie-- it was all out. It didn't possibly work.

Then, the other day, we tried again. My girlfriend ran into the store to rent "Music & Lyrics" (look, I'll pay 99 cents to see it and I'm a sucker for the new Hugh Grant) while I waited in the car. She runs into the store with a dollar in hand.
...
She runs back out. "It's 1.06," she says. Damnit. Taxes. I give her 6 cents.
...
She runs back in.
...
She runs back out. "It only accepts credit cards." Ah, right, of course. That way I'm not BUYING a DVD for 1.06. I give her my credit card.
...
She runs back in.
...
She runs back out...AND SHE HAS THE MOVIE! 1.06 and we have a new release movie for 24 hours. We watch it that night and return it the next day. You get emails saying that you rented the film and, after inserting it back into the machine, that the film was received again and you won't be charged outrageous fees for losing the DVD.

Overall, a very amazing new way of getting new movies cheap and easily. They had about 100 DVD's in the machine, and are conveniently located where I acquire food which THEY KNOW I have to get to survive. Saves me money and a trip to the blockbuster assholes (seriously, has a franchise failed more miserably over the years to be helpful and affordable?).

"DVD VENDING!",
Witz

UPDATE: After seeing another one of these in a different town, I'm pretty sure that Red Box is really racist. Actually, I don't know if it's racist or intelligent marketing-wise, but in my town where ya don't see that many minorities, we have movies like "The Fountain" and "Little Children." In this other town, where you don't see many white people, "Norbit" is presented first and foremost. "Norbit" is not anywhere in my town's machine.

PS. When you rent a DVD you get to click on the "VEND DVD" button. I love any chance I get to use "vend" as a verb. It sounds like I'm speaking "robot."

No comments: